21. McKee M, Gugushvili A, Koltai J, Stuckler D. Are Populist Leaders Creating the Conditions for the Spread of COVID? Int J Health Pol Management 2020: doi: 10.34172/ijhpm.2020.124
22. Rajan S, Cylus J, McKee M. What do countries need to do to implement effective ‘find, test, trace, isolate, support’ systems? J Roy Soc Med 2020; 113: 245-50
23. McKee M. England’s PPE procurement failures must never happen again. BMJ 2020: 370: m2858
24 Shanks S, Van Schalkwyk MCI, McKee M. Covid-19 exposes the UK’s broken foodsystem. BMJ 2020; 370: m3085
25. Gugushvili A, Koltai J, Stuckler D, McKee M. Votes, populism, and pandemics. Int J Publ Health 2020: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-020-01450-y
26. McKee M. Learning from success: how hasHungary responded to the COVID pandemic? GeroScience 2020: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11357-020-00240-x
27. Vanoni M, McKee M, Bonell C, Semenza J, Stuckler D. Using volunteered geographic information to assess mobility in the COVID-19 pandemic context: cross-city time series analysis of 41 cities in 22 countries from March 2nd to 26th 2020. Globalization Health 2020 Sep 23;16(1):85.
28. Han E, Tan MMJ, Turk E, Sridhar D, Leung GM, Shibuya K, Asgari N, Oh J, García-Basteiro AL, Hanefeld J, Cook AR, Hsu LY, Teo YY, Heymann D, Clark H, McKee M, Legido-Quigley H. Lessons learnt from easingCOVID-19 restrictions: an analysis of countries in Asia Pacific and Europe. Lancet 2020: 396: 1525-1534
29 Agius RM, Robertson JFR, Kendrick D, Sewell HF, Stewart M, McKee M. Covid-19 in the workplace. BMJ 2020; 370: m3577
30 Crozier A, Rajan S, McKee M. Fixing England’s COVID-19 response: learning from international experience. J Roy Soc Med 2020: 113: 422-427
31 Kontis V, Bennett JE, Rashid T, Parks RM, Pearson-Stuttard J, Guillot M, Asaria P, Zhou B, Battaglini M, Corsetti G, McKee M, Di Cesare M, Mathers CD, Ezzati M. Magnitude, demographics and dynamics of the impact of the first phase of the Covid-19 pandemic on all-cause mortality in 21 industrialised countries. Nature Med 2020: 26: 1919-1928
32 McKee M, Stuckler D. Scientific divisions on covid-19: not what they might seem. BMJ 2020;371:m4024
33 Rajan S, Comas-Herrera A, McKee M. Did the UK government really throw a protective ring around care homesin the COVID-19 pandemic? J Long-Term Care 2020; 2020: 185-195.
34 Palafox B, Renedo A, Lasco G, Palileo-Villanueva L, Balabanova D, McKee M. Maintaining population health inlow- and middle-income countries during the Covid-19 pandemic: Why we should be investing in Community Health Workers Trop Med Int Health 2020: doi: 10.1111/tmi.13498.
35 Lloyd-Sherlock P, Sempe L, McKee M, Guntupalli A. Problems of data availability and quality for Covid-19 andolder people in low and middle-income countries. Gerontologist 2020: gnaa153.
36 Burgess RA, Osborne RH, Yongabi KA, Greenhalgh T, Gurdasani D, Kang G, Falade AG, Odone A, Busse R, Martin-Moreno JM, Reicher S, McKee M. The COVID-19 vaccines rush: participatory communityengagement matters more than ever. Lancet 2020; 397: 8-10.
37. McKee M, Rajan S. What can we learn from Israel’s rapid roll out of COVID19 vaccination? Israel J Health Pol Res 2021; 10: 5.
38. Baum F, Freeman T, Musolino C, Abramovitz M, De Ceukelaire W, Flavel J, Friel S, Giugliani C, Howden-Chapman P, Huong NT, London L, McKee M, Popay J, Serag H, Villar E. Explaining COVID-19 performance: Whatfactors might predict national responses? BMJ 2021; ;372: n91
39. Crozier A, Rajan S, Buchan I, McKee M. Put to the test: useof rapid testing technologies for covid-19. 2021;372:n208
40. Barlow P, van Schalkwyk M, McKee M, Labonte R, Stuckler D. COVID-19 and the collapse of global trade: what policymakers need to know to build an effective public health response. Lancet Planetary Health 2021; 5: e102–07
41. Burgess RA, Osborne RH, Yongabi KA, Greenhalgh T, Gurdasani D, Kang G, Falade AG, Odone A, Busse R, Martin-Moreno JM, Reicher S, McKee M. The COVID-19 vaccines rush: participatorycommunity engagement matters more than ever. Lancet 2021; 397: 8-10.
42. Van Schalkwyk M, Maani N, McKee M. Publichealth emergency or opportunity to profit? The two faces of the COVID-19pandemic. Lancet Diab Endocrinol 2020: https://doi.org/10.1016/ S2213-8587(21)00001-2
43 Murphy A, Mbau L, McKee M, Hanson K, Torreele E. Can we do for other essential medicines what we are doing for the COVID-19 vaccine? BMJ Global Health. 2021;6:e005158.
44 McKee M. The UK’s PPE procurement scandal reminds us why we need ways to hold ministers to account. BMJ 2021; 372: n639
45 Szocska M, Pollner P, Schiszler I, Joo T, Palicz T, McKee M, Sohonyai A, Szoke J, Toth A, Gaal P. Putting (Big) Data in Action: Saving Lives with Countrywide Population Movement Monitoring Using Mobile Devices during the COVID-19 Crisis. Scientific Rep 2021; 11: 5943McKee M, Gugushvili A, Koltai J, Stuckler D. Are Populist Leaders Creating the Conditions for the Spread of COVID? Int J Health Pol Managenent 2020: doi: 10.34172/ijhpm.2020.124
46 Turk E, Durrance-Bagale A, Han E, Bell S, Rajan S, Lota MMM, Ochu C, Lazo Porras M, Frumence G, McKee M, Legido-Quigley H. International experiences with co-production offer lessons for COVID-19 responses. BMJ 2021; 372: m4752
48 Mansfield KE, Mathur R, Tazare J, Henderson AD, Mulick A, Carreira H, Matthews AA, Bidulka P, Gayle A, Forbes H, Cook S, Wong AYS, Strongman H, Wing K, Warren-Gash C, Cadogan SL, Smeeth L, Hayes JF, Quint JK, McKee M, Langan SM. COVID-19 collateral: Indirect acute effects of the pandemic on physical and mental health in the UK. Lancet Digital Health 2021: doi.org/10.1016/ S2589-7500(21)00017-0
49 Kluge H, McKee M. Vaccinating the European Region: an unprecedented challenge. Lancet 2021: oi.org/10.1016/PII
50 van Schalkwyk MC, Maani N, Cohen J, McKee M, Petticrew M. Our Postpandemic Word: What Will it Take to Build a Better Future for People and Planet? Milbank Q. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12508
1. Jonathan Koltai, Veronica Toffolutti, Martin Mckee, David Stuckler. Changing probability of experiencing food insecurity by socioeconomicand demographic groups during the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK. medRxiv 2020.11.10.20229278; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.11.10.20229278
Link to description
I am a member of the Independent SAGE, convened by Sir David King. Our first report was published on 12th May 2020
Martin McKee: Will Boris Johnson’s “Moonshot” become lost in space? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee, Iveta Nagyova: Could Slovakia's mass testing programme work in England? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: “NHS” Test and Trace under fire—a system flawed by design. BMJ Opinion
really happening with the NHS Covid-19 app trial. Wired, 16th
data shows 10 countries risking coronavirus second wave as lockdown relaxed
Guardian 25th June
Rising coronavirus infections in pockets of UK raise fears of further local lockdowns Guardian 1st JulyA coronavirus vaccine would be a triumph, but the worst human impulses threaten its success. Guardian 21st JulyCNN 26th SeptemberOp eds
Rising coronavirus infections in pockets of UK raise fears of further local lockdowns Guardian 1st July
Continual boom and bust lockdowns are not the way to managethe virus. Independent 17th December
Even more of your questions answered: Episode 18