1) Lloyd-Sherlock P, Ebrahim S, Geffen L, McKee M. Bearing the brunt of covid-19: older people in low and middle income countries. BMJ 2020; 368: m1052
2) Anderson M, McKee M, Mossialos E. Covid-19 exposes weaknesses in European response to outbreaks. BMJ 2020;368:m1075
3) Hargreaves S, Kumar BN, McKee M, Jones L,Veizis A. Europe’s migrant containment policies threaten the response to covid-19. BMJ 2020; 368: m1213
4) Legido-Quigley H, Mateos-Garcia JT, Regulez Campos V, Gea-Sanchez M, Muntaner C, McKee M.The resilience of the Spanish health system against the COVID-19 pandemic.Lancet Publ Health 2020: doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30060-8
5) McKee M, Stuckler D. If the world fails to protect the economy, COVID will damage health not just now but also in the future. Nature Med 2020: DOI: 10.1038/s41591-020-0863-y
6) Murphy A, Abdi Z, Harirchi I, McKee M, Ahmadnezhad E. Economic sanctions and Iran’s capacity to respond to COVID-19. Lancet PublHealth 2020: doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30083-9
7) Flear M, de Ruijter A, McKee M. Coronavirus shows how UK must act quickly before being shut out of Europe’s health protection systems. BMJ 2020; 368:m400
8) Kentikelenis A, Gabor D, Ortiz I, Stubbs T, McKeeM, Stuckler D. Softening the blow of the pandemic: will the IMF and WorldBank make things worse? Lancet Global Health 2020: doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30135-2
9) Boccia S, Ricciardi W, McKee M, Cascini F. How the Italian NHS is fighting against the COVID-19 emergency. Frontiers Public Health 2020: doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00167
10) McKee M. A European roadmap out of theCOVID-19 pandemic. BMJ 2020; 369: m1556
11) Douglas M,Katikireddi SV, Taulbut M, McKee M, McCartney G. How can we protect against the wider health impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic response? Social distancing maycause significant adverse effects on health inequalities. BMJ 2020; 369: m1557
12) Forman R, Atun R, McKee M, Mossialos E. 12 Lessons Learned from the Management of the Coronavirus Pandemic. Health Policy 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2020.05.008
13) Anderson M, McKee M, Mossialos E. Developing a sustainable exit strategy for COVID-19: health, economic and public policy implications. J Roy Soc Med 2020; 113(5): 176–178
14) Sassano M, McKee M, Ricciardi W, BocciaS. Transmission of infections at large sports gatherings: a surprising gap inour knowledge Frontiers Public Health 2020; 7: 277
15) Patel P, Hiam L, Sowemimo A, Devakumar D, McKee M. Ethnicity and COVID-19. BMJ 2020; 369: m2282
16) Clark A, Jit M, Warren-Gash C, Guthrie B, WangHHX, Mercer SW, Sanderson C, McKee M, Troeger C, Ong KI, Checchi F,Perel P, Joseph S, Gibbs HP, Banerjee A, Eggo RM, CMMID COVID-19 working group. Global, regional, and national estimates of the population at increased risk of severe COVID-19 due to underlying health conditions in 2020: a modelling study. Lancet Global Health 2020; 8: E1003-E1017
17) Oh J, Kavanagh MM, Gottschalk K, Subramanian SV, Shibuya K, Hirschhorn LR, Alonso C, Torres I, Awoonor-Williams K, Minh HV, Bawah AA, Tran H, Kachur SP, Sáenz R, Barrios OA, Kwon S, Nam EW, Choi JW, Lee J-K, McKee M, Gostin LO. Announcement of launching the JGHS Commission on COVID-19 Response. J Global Health Science 2020; 2: e20
18) Roberts CM, Levi M, McKee M, Schilling R, Lim WS, Grocott M. COVID-19: a complex multi-system disease Br J Anaesthesia 2020: DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2020.06.013
19) Han E, Chiou ST, McKee M, Legido-Quigley H. The resilience of Taiwan's health system to address the COVID-19 pandemic. EClinicalMedicine. 2020 Jun 27:100437.
20) Toffolutti V, McKee M, Stuckler D. Is theCOVID-19 pandemic turning into a European food crisis? Eur J Publ Health 2020; doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckaa101
21) McKee M, Gugushvili A, Koltai J, Stuckler D. Are Populist Leaders Creating the Conditions for the Spread of COVID? Int J Health Pol Management 2021; 10: 511-515.
22) Rajan S, Cylus J, McKee M. What do countries need to do to implement effective ‘find, test, trace, isolate, support’ systems? J Roy Soc Med 2020; 113: 245-50
23) McKee M. England’s PPE procurement failures must never happen again. BMJ 2020: 370: m2858
24) Shanks S, Van Schalkwyk MCI, McKee M. Covid-19 exposes the UK’s broken foodsystem. BMJ 2020; 370: m3085
25) Gugushvili A, Koltai J, Stuckler D, McKee M. Votes, populism, and pandemics. Int J Publ Health 2020: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-020-01450-y
26) McKee M. Learning from success: how hasHungary responded to the COVID pandemic? GeroScience 2020: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11357-020-00240-x
27) Vanoni M, McKee M, Bonell C, Semenza J, Stuckler D. Using volunteered geographic information to assess mobility in the COVID-19 pandemic context: cross-city time series analysis of 41 cities in 22 countries from March 2nd to 26th 2020. Globalization Health 2020 Sep 23;16(1):85.
28) Han E, Tan MMJ, Turk E, Sridhar D, Leung GM, Shibuya K, Asgari N, Oh J, García-Basteiro AL, Hanefeld J, Cook AR, Hsu LY, Teo YY, Heymann D, Clark H, McKee M, Legido-Quigley H. Lessons learnt from easingCOVID-19 restrictions: an analysis of countries in Asia Pacific and Europe. Lancet 2020: 396: 1525-1534
29) Agius RM, Robertson JFR, Kendrick D, Sewell HF, Stewart M, McKee M. Covid-19 in the workplace. BMJ 2020; 370: m3577
30) Crozier A, Rajan S, McKee M. Fixing England’s COVID-19 response: learning from international experience. J Roy Soc Med 2020: 113: 422-427
31) Kontis V, Bennett JE, Rashid T, Parks RM, Pearson-Stuttard J, Guillot M, Asaria P, Zhou B, Battaglini M, Corsetti G, McKee M, Di Cesare M, Mathers CD, Ezzati M. Nature Med 2020: 26: 1919-1928
32) McKee M, Stuckler D. Scientific divisions on covid-19: not what they might seem. BMJ 2020;371:m4024
33) Rajan S, Comas-Herrera A, McKee M. Did the UK government really throw a protective ring around care homesin the COVID-19 pandemic? J Long-Term Care 2020; 2020: 185-195.
34) Palafox B, Renedo A, Lasco G, Palileo-Villanueva L, Balabanova D, McKee M. Maintaining population health inlow- and middle-income countries during the Covid-19 pandemic: Why we should be investing in Community Health Workers Trop Med Int Health 2020: doi: 10.1111/tmi.13498.
35) Lloyd-Sherlock P, Sempe L, McKee M, Guntupalli A. Problems of data availability and quality for Covid-19 andolder people in low and middle-income countries. Gerontologist 2020: gnaa153.
36) Burgess RA, Osborne RH, Yongabi KA, Greenhalgh T, Gurdasani D, Kang G, Falade AG, Odone A, Busse R, Martin-Moreno JM, Reicher S, McKee M. The COVID-19 vaccines rush: participatory communityengagement matters more than ever. Lancet 2020; 397: 8-10.
37) McKee M, Rajan S. What can we learn from Israel’s rapid roll out of COVID19 vaccination? Israel J Health Pol Res 2021; 10: 5.
38) Baum F, Freeman T, Musolino C, Abramovitz M, De Ceukelaire W, Flavel J, Friel S, Giugliani C, Howden-Chapman P, Huong NT, London L, McKee M, Popay J, Serag H, Villar E. Explaining COVID-19 performance: Whatfactors might predict national responses? BMJ 2021; ;372: n91
39) Crozier A, Rajan S, Buchan I, McKee M. Put to the test: useof rapid testing technologies for covid-19. 2021;372:n208
40) Barlow P, van Schalkwyk M, McKee M, Labonte R, Stuckler D. COVID-19 and the collapse of global trade: what policymakers need to know to build an effective public health response. Lancet Planetary Health 2021; 5: e102–07
41) Burgess RA, Osborne RH, Yongabi KA, Greenhalgh T, Gurdasani D, Kang G, Falade AG, Odone A, Busse R, Martin-Moreno JM, Reicher S, McKee M. The COVID-19 vaccines rush: participatorycommunity engagement matters more than ever. Lancet 2021; 397: 8-10.
42) Van Schalkwyk M, Maani N, McKee M. Publichealth emergency or opportunity to profit? The two faces of the COVID-19pandemic. Lancet Diab Endocrinol 2020: https://doi.org/10.1016/ S2213-8587(21)00001-2
43) Murphy A, Mbau L, McKee M, Hanson K, Torreele E. Can we do for other essential medicines what we are doing for the COVID-19 vaccine? BMJ Global Health. 2021;6:e005158.
44) McKee M. The UK’s PPE procurement scandal reminds us why we need ways to hold ministers to account. BMJ 2021; 372: n639
45) Szocska M, Pollner P, Schiszler I, Joo T, Palicz T, McKee M, Sohonyai A, Szoke J, Toth A, Gaal P. Countrywide population movement monitoring using mobile devices generated (big) data during the COVID-19 crisis. Scientific Rep 2021; 11: 5943
46) Turk E, Durrance-Bagale A, Han E, Bell S, Rajan S, Lota MMM, Ochu C, Lazo Porras M, Frumence G, McKee M, Legido-Quigley H. International experiences with co-production offer lessons for COVID-19 responses. BMJ 2021; 372: m4752
47) Gugushvili A, McKee M. The COVID-19 Pandemic and War. Scand J Public Health 2021: doi: 10.1177/1403494821993732P1
48) Mansfield KE, Mathur R, Tazare J, Henderson AD, Mulick A, Carreira H, Matthews AA, Bidulka P, Gayle A, Forbes H, Cook S, Wong AYS, Strongman H, Wing K, Warren-Gash C, Cadogan SL, Smeeth L, Hayes JF, Quint JK, McKee M, Langan SM. COVID-19 collateral: Indirect acute effects of the pandemic on physical and mental health in the UK. Lancet Digital Health 2021: doi.org/10.1016/ S2589-7500(21)00017-0
49) Kluge H, McKee M. Vaccinating the European Region: an unprecedented challenge. Lancet 20212021; 397: 1689-1691
50) van Schalkwyk MC, Maani N, Cohen J, McKee M, Petticrew M. Our Postpandemic Word: What Will it Take to Build a Better Future for People and Planet? Milbank Q. 2021; 99(2): 467-502
51) Chung SC, Marlow S, Tobias N, Alogna A, Alogna I, You S-L, Khunti K, McKee M, Michie S, Pillay D. Lessons from countries implementing find, test, trace, isolation and support policies in the rapid response of the COVID-19 pandemic: a systematic review. BMJ Open 2021;11:e047832.
52) Mughal F, Mallen CD, McKee M. The impact of COVID-19 on primary care in Europe. Lancet Reg Health Europe 2021; 6: 100152
53) Oh J, Lee HWJ, Long KQ, Markuns JF, Bullen C, Artaza Barrios OE, Hwang SS, Suh YS, McCool J, Kachur P, Chan CC, Kwon S, Kondo N, Minh HV, Moon JR, Rostila M, Norheim OF, You M, Withers M, Li M, Lee E-J, Benski C, Park S, Nam E-W, Gottschalk K, Kavanagh M, Huong TTG, Lee J-K, Subramanian SV, McKee M, Gostin LO. Mobility restrictions were associated with reductions in COVID-19 incidence early in the pandemic: evidence from a real-time evaluation in 34 countries. Sci Rep 2021; 11, 13717
54) Ahmad R, Atun RA, Birgand G, Castro-Sánchez E, Charani E, Ferlie EB, Hussain I, Kambugu A, Labarca J, Levy Hara G, McKee M, Mendelson M, Singh S, Varma J, Zhu NJ, Zingg W, Holmes AH, COMPASS study group. Macro level influences on strategic responses to the COVID-19 pandemic – an international survey and tool for national assessments. J Global Health 2021;11:05011.
55) Commissioners of and collaborators with the International AIDS Society–Lancet Commission on Health and Human Rights. Human rights and fair access to COVID-19 vaccines: the International AIDS Society–Lancet Commission on Health and Human Rights. Lancet 2021; 397: 1524-1527
56) Iftekhar EN, Priesemann V, Balling R, Bauer S, Beutels P, Calero Valdez A, Cuschieri S, Czypionka T, Dumpis U, Glaab E, Grill E, Hanson C, Hotulainen P, Klimek P, Kretzschman M, Kruger T, Krutzinna J, Low N, Machado H, Martins C, McKee M, Mohr SB, Nassehi A, Perc M, Petelos E, Pickersgill M, Prainsack B, Rocklov J, Schernhammer E, Staines A, Szczurek E, Tsiodras S, Van Gucht S, Willeit P. A look into the future of the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe: an expert consultation. Lancet Reg Health Europe 2021: doi.org/10.1016/j.lanepe.2021.100185
57) Sempé L, Lloyd-Sherlock P, Martínez R, Ebrahim S, McKee M, Acosta E. Estimation of all-cause excess mortality by age-specific mortality patterns for countries with incomplete vital statistics: a population-based study of the case of Peru during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Reg Health Americas 2021: doi.org/10.1016/j.lana.2021.100039
58) Koltai J, Toffolutti V, McKee M, Stuckler D. Prevalence and changes in food-related hardships by socioeconomic and demographic groups during the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK: A longitudinal panel study. Lancet Reg Health Europe 2021; 6: 100125
59) McKee M. What went wrong in the UK’s covid-19 response? BMJ 2021; 373:n1309
60) Rajan S, Cylus J, McKee M. What can we learn from European experiences of primary care under COVID-19? In: Basu S, Alpert JL, Philips RS. Primary care in the COVID-19 pandemic. Cambridge MA: Harvard Medical School, 2021. pp 310-40
61) Sagan A, Thomas S, McKee M, Karanikolos M, Azzopardi-Muscat N, de la Mata I, Figueras J. COVID-9 and health systems resilience: lessons going forwards. Eurohealth 2020; 26(2): 20-24
62) Rajan, S, Cylus J, McKee M. Successful find-test-trace-isolate-support systems: how to win at snakes and ladders. Eurohealth 2020; 26(2): 34-39.
63) Karanikolos M, McKee M. How comparable is covid-19 mortality across countries? Eurohealth 2020; 26(2): 45-50.
64) McKee M. O Międzynarodowych Doświadczeniach COVID-19 [International experience with COVID-19]. Menedizir Zdrowia 2020; 9-19: 24-28
65) McKee M. Achieving zero covid is not easy, but the alternative is far worse. BMJ 2020;371:m3859
66) Alwan, NA, Burgess RA, Ashworth S, Beale R, Bhadelia N, Bogaert D, Dowd J, Eckerle I, Goldman LR, Greenhalgh T, Gurdasani D, Hamdy A, Hanage WP, Hodcroft EB, Hyde Z, Kellam P, Kelly-Irving M, Krammer F, Lipsitch M, McNally A, McKee M, Nouri A, Pimenta D, Priesemann V, Rutter H, Silver J, Sridhar D, Swanton C, Walensky RP, Yamey G, Ziauddeen H. Scientific consensus on the COVID-19 pandemic: we need to act now. The Lancet, 2020. 396(10260): p. e71-e72.
67) Gurdasani D, Bear L, Bogaert D, Burgess RA, Busse R, Cacciola R, Charpak Y, Colbourn T, Drury J, Friston K, Gallo V, Goldman LR, Greenhalgh T, Hyde Z, Kuppalli K, Majumder MS, Martin-Moreno JM, McKee M, Michie S, Mossialos E, Nouri A, Pagel C, Pimenta D, Popescu S, Priesemann V, Rasmussen AL, Reicher S, Ricciardi W, Rice K, Silver J, Smith TC, Wenham C, West R, Yamey G, Yates C, Ziauddeen H. The UK needs a sustainable strategy for COVID-19. Lancet. 2020 Nov 9:S0140-6736(20)32350-3. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32350-3.
68) Gurdasani D, Alwan NA, Greenhalgh T, Hyde Z, Johnson L, McKee M, Michie S, Prather KA, Rasmussen SD, Reicher S, Roderick P, Ziauddeen H. School reopening without robust COVID-19 mitigation risks accelerating the pandemic. Lancet 2021: https://doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(21)00622-X
69) Bozorgmehr K, Jahn R, Stuckler D, McKee M. Free licensing of vaccines to end the COVID-19 crisis. Lancet 2021: /doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00467-0
70) Lloyd-Sherlock P, Kandiyil N M, McKee M, Perianayagam A, Venkatapuram S, Pathare S et al. Pandemic lessons from India: inappropriate prioritisation for vaccination BMJ 2021; 373 : n1464
71) Gurdasani D, Drury J, Greenhalgh T, Griffin S, Haque Z, Hyde Z, Katzourakis A, McKee M, Michie S, Pagel C, Reicher S, Roberts A, West R, Yates C, Ziauddeen H. Mass infection is not an option: we must do more to protect our young. Lancet 2021; S0140-6736(21)01589-0.
72) Hargreaves S, Hayward SE, Noori T, McKee M, Kumar B. COVID-19: counting migrants in. Lancet. 2021; 398: 211-212.
73) Priesemann V, Balling R, Bauer S, Beutels P, Valdez AC, Cuschieri S, Czypionka T, Dumpis U, Glaab E, Grill E, Hotulainen P, Iftekhar EN, Krutzinna J, Lionis C, Machado H, Martins C, McKee M, Pavlakis GN, Perc M, Petelos E, Pickersgill M, Prainsack B, Rocklöv J, Schernhammer E, Szczurek E, Tsiodras S, Van Gucht S, Willeit P. Towards a European strategy to address the COVID-19 pandemic. The Lancet 2021: doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01808-0
van Schalkwyk M, McKee M. Research into policy: lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic. Eur J Publ Health
Oroszi B, Juhász A, Nagy C, Horváth JK, McKee M, Ádány R. The unequal burden of COVID-19 in Hungary: a geographical and socioeconomic analysis of the second wave of the pandemic. BMJ Global Health
Monti M, Torbia A, Mossialos E, McKee M. A new strategy for Health and Sustainable Development: domestic policies, pan-European cooperation, and global governance after the pandemic. Lancet
Jit M, Ananthakrishnan A, McKee M, Wouters O, Beutels P, Teerawattananon Y. Multi-country collaboration in responding to global infectious disease threats: lessons for Europe from the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Reg Health Europe
Link to description
I am a member of the Independent SAGE, convened by Sir David King. Our first report was published on 12th May 2020
Lloyd-Sherlock PG, Kalache A, McKee M, Derbyshire J, GeffenL, Casas FG. WHO must prioritise the needs of older people in its response tothe covid-19 pandemic. BMJ. 2020 Mar 23;368:m1164. doi: 10.1136/bmj.m1164.
Martin McKee: Words have consequences, especially during a pandemic. BMJ Opinion
Michael Roberts, Marcel Levi, Richard Schilling, Wei Shen Lim, Michael PW Grocott, Martin McKee. Covid-19: a complex multisystem clinical syndrome. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee. The questions we need to answer before easing lockdown. BMJ Opinion
Raymond Agius, John Robertson, Marcia Stewart, Denise Kendrick, Herb Sewell, Martin McKee Covid-19: Rigorous investigation of healthcare workers’ deaths is indispensable. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee. Trust is essential in a pandemic, but the British prime minister is squandering it. BMJ Opinion
Selina Rajan Martin McKee. Learning From the Impacts of COVID-19 on Care Homes in England: A Pilot Survey LTC COVID responses
Vishal Arora, Martin McKee. Covid-19 has decimated independent US primary care practices—how should policymakers and payers respond? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: The UK’s response to covid-19 does not inspire confidence in its ability to protect health as we drift into a No Deal Brexit. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: Will Boris Johnson’s “Moonshot” become lost in space? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee, Iveta Nagyova: Could Slovakia's mass testing programme work in England? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: “NHS” Test and Trace under fire—a system flawed by design. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: How can we hold political leaders accountable for failures in pandemics?. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: The UK’s PPE procurement scandal reminds us why we need ways to hold ministers to account. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: Covid-19 vaccine wars: developing the AstraZeneca vaccine was a triumph, but then things went wrong. BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: What did we learn from Dominic Cummings’ evidence to MPs on the covid crisis? BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: What Dominic Cummings said next—the case for an urgent inquiry into England’s pandemic response gets stronger and stronger BMJ Opinion
Martin McKee: Martin McKee on “Spike: The virus versus the people”. BMJ Opinion
really happening with the NHS Covid-19 app trial. Wired, 16th
data shows 10 countries risking coronavirus second wave as lockdown relaxed
Guardian 25th June
Rising coronavirus infections in pockets of UK raise fears of further local lockdowns Guardian 1st JulyA coronavirus vaccine would be a triumph, but the worst human impulses threaten its success. Guardian 21st JulyCNN 26th SeptemberOp eds
Rising coronavirus infections in pockets of UK raise fears of further local lockdowns Guardian 1st July
Continual boom and bust lockdowns are not the way to managethe virus. Independent 17th December
Even more of your questions answered: Episode 18